I’m a neuroscientist exploring neurodevelopmental disorders. I completed my doctoral degree in September 2017. Currently, I am a Postdoctoral Scientist at the University of Toronto.
I completed my PhD at the Philipps University, Marburg in Germany. My PhD thesis was titled as “the role of endosomal toll-like receptors (eTLRs) in epilepsy”.
Before starting my PhD, I worked briefly at Charite Medical University and Innsbruck Medical University as a research assistant. This brief period of research assistant period helped me prepare for my PhD as I gained experience in new research techniques and animal models.
I completed an interdisciplinary masters from Uppsala University, Sweden in Cell and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience. My master thesis focused on activation of immediate early genes (IEG): c-Fos and EGR-1 due to stress and aggressive behavior.
Research interest: Neurodegenerative, Neurological, and Psychiatric Disorders, Neural circuits underlying learning and memory and the disorders underlying them, the effect of stress on brain disorders and if it disrupts the neural circuits underlying them, addiction, and fear.
- Molecular Biology – DNA, RNA, and miRNA extraction, PCR, qPCR – SYBR and Taqman – chemistry, aortal perfusions (in fish, rats, and mice), genotyping, HPLC, Radioimmunoassay (RIA), ELISA, and Western blotting.
- Histology – Cryosection and Vibratome slicing of the brain, Immunocytochemistry, Immunohistochemistry, In situ hybridization, Nissl staining (Cresyl Violet staining), DAB staining, Fluor-jade staining and Timm-staining, and a combination of In-situ Hybridization and Immunohistochemistry.
- Genome editing/Gene therapy techniques– siRNA.
- Epilepsy models: Kainate based (rats), electrical stimulation based, EEG recordings and analysis, and stereotaxic surgeries.
- Tissue Clearing methods: 3DISCO and CLARITY.
- Image analysis: Image J, Imaris, deconvolution using Huygens.
- Microscopy: Confocal- & light microscopy, STED microscopy, 2-photon and STED microscopy (basics).
- Statistics: Graphpad.
Languages: English, German (A1)
Awards and achievements:
- Invited talk on brain tissue clearing by Johannes Gutenberg Mainz University, November 2016. (link to the talk in publications)
- Reviewed an article for Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, August 2016.
- Invited by qbase+, a software to measure gene expression changes & measuring stable reference genes, to write a blog review on their software.
- Boehringer Ingelheim (BI) travel grant: July 2016.
- Marburg University Research Academy (MARA) travel grant: July 2016.
- Nomination for the best poster presentation at Rhine Main Neuroscience Network conference, Oberwesel: June 2016.
- DAAD/ Marburg International Doctorate (MID) travel grant: June 2016.
- FENS ambassador for the FENS Forum 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark: July 2016.
- Company of Biologist (COB) travel grant: May 2013.
Apart from Science, my interest includes photography & traveling.